Your Chicago Guardianship Lawyers
An experienced Chicago guardianship lawyer is invaluable in guiding you through the confusing and difficult process of caring for your loved one when they can no longer care for themselves.
The term “guardianship” refers to the process when the court appoints a guardian for an individual. This appointment occurs only after the Court determines the individual can no longer make personal or financial decisions for themselves. If an individual does not have valid power of attorney documentation or a trust in place which describes what is to happen in the event of their disability, a guardianship proceeding will likely be necessary in order to protect their financial interests and ensure their well-being.
Establishing powers of guardianship for a disabled adult is a document-intensive process. It generally also involves a variety of legal issues. Court continues to oversee the handling of the disabled person’s affairs after it appoints the guardian. However, the guardian will be required to continue to report to the Court. This reporting includes annual reports on the individual’s health, annual budgets and any other issues that may arise.
Overview of Guardianship Law Administration
Establishing a guardianship estate for a friend or loved one is necessary when they can no longer handle their own personal and financial affairs and they have not executed any other documentation appointing an agent in the event of their disability. You will know that it is time to seek the court’s appointment of a guardian when financial and medical institutions no longer recognize your authority to act on behalf of your loved one and they cannot act for themselves.
Hays Firm's Chicago Guardianship Lawyer Services
- Representing clients in obtaining the court’s appointment as guardian of their friend or loved one
- Performing all duties related to providing annual reporting to the court regarding guardianship estate assets
- Setting up trusts for a family member with special needs and ensuring that the trust is properly administered
- Establishing a guardianship for a minor who is the beneficiary of a settlement award
- Preparation of final account and formal discharge of the guardian at the end of the guardianship estate
From determining the type of guardian your loved one needs, to becoming a guardian, or are needing aid with litigation, please contact an experienced Chicago guardianship lawyer at Hays Firm LLC to discuss your options.