Your Guardianship Law Attorneys
Establishing powers of guardianship for a minor or a disabled adult is a document-intensive process and may entail a variety of legal issues. If you are the legal guardian of a family member or if you wish to ask the court to name a legal guardian for a loved one, Hays Firm LLC can assist you. Our attorneys have extended experience in planning, creating and litigating powers of attorney and elder law.
Our firm assists clients in matters related to:
- Hearings to determine an individual's mental competency
- Setting up trusts for a family member with special needs
- Establishing a guardianship for a minor who is the beneficiary of a settlement award
- Performing all duties related to providing annual reporting to the court regarding guardianship estate assets and business
- Formal discharge of the guardian power at the end of the guardianship estate
After a Guardian is appointed, they owe the Ward a fiduciary duty to manage the assets properly, account to the court for all dealings with the Ward's finances, and avoid enriching themselves at the expense of the Ward. Often, issues arise when it is in the Ward's best interest to have a guardian removed. We work with family members to step in and fight for the Ward's best interests when it becomes necessary to replace the present Guardian and recover assets that may have been taken from a disabled adult.
If you feel it is time to ask the court for authority to manage the affairs of a friend, relative or loved one and to protect their best interests, please contact Hays Firm LLC to discuss your options.